When water can start a fire.

Usually water and fire don’t mix. When the fire crew arrive, what’s the first thing they put on your burning house? Right.

But when water mixes with electricity, it almost might as well be gasoline. Water, or even dampness or moisture, can create leakage current — a form of short circuit — across the electrical contacts of a switch, fixture, or anything else with exposed conductors. This low-grade short circuit can evolve into a full-fledged electrical pathway through chemical reactions and the buildup of carbon. The result: either a lot of heat or an electrical arc, either of which can start things going.

Typically, wiring in the wet areas of your home or car is done in such a way as to keep contacts away from moisture … if it’s done by a properly licensed electrical contractor. Just another good reason to give us a call for your next home repair!